Sunday, September 13, 2009

Balinese Spiced Duck

This is one of my all-time favourite recipes and I wanted to share it with you all as it is so simple and a delight to the taste buds. I got this one off the web - one of the recipe sites, not sure which one.

Ingredients

8 duck portions
50g dessicated coconut
3/4 cup coconut milk
Deep fried onions and salad leaves (I caramelize our onions and we serve the Duck with Steamed or Stir-fried veges).

For the spice paste

6 shallots (I use 12 spring onions)
2 cloves garlic sliced
2.5 cm fresh ginger root pealed and sliced
1 cm galangal peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1-2 red chillies seeded and sliced
4 macadamias or 8 almonds
1 tsp coriander seeds dry fried

Method

  • Whiz the ingredients for paste in a food processor until a paste forms.
  • Rub over the duck pieces and marinate for 3-4 hours or over night (I often skip the marinating as I forget!)
  • Preheat oven to 140 C.
  • Shake off the paste and mix the coconut milk into it
  • Place duck pieces into a glass baking dish and pour over the sauce
  • Cover and cook for 1 hour (longer if you are using legs and wings - I use breasts with skin on and 1 hour is plenty)
  • Dry fry the dessicated coconut until crisp and brown
  • Remove cover from duck
  • Turn the oven up to 190 C and cook 20-30 mins brown and crispy. I usually leave it longer than this
  • Sprinkle desiccated coconut over meat
  • Serve with caramelized onion and stirfry veges and drizzle with
I often add a tsp of salt and a tablespoon of honey to the sauce at the end to boost its flavour!

No comments:

Post a Comment