Sunday, September 13, 2009

Two steps forward and one step back

One thing I am learning on the GAPS diet, is that the journey of healing is not a straight path.

Just when I think I have things figured out and my body is responding in a positive way (ie: my symptoms are less), something new pops its head up to confound me.

This last week I got really excited because I had 3 days in a row that my chronic sore throat didn't bother me. But today it is back again.

I started wracking my brain about what I could have done to cause this. Maybe it is because I stayed up too late last night, or because I didnt take my charcoal tablet yesterday, maybe it was because I visited a neighbour who has a cat inside....

I took some time today to reflect and read some emails on the GAPS list.

As I read I began to realise that this is all a "normal" part of the GAPS healing process AND that sometimes there is NO reason for the reaction other than the body is cleansing and healing.

The theory of the Herxheimer reaction, states that: "The healing crisis will usually bring about past conditions in whatever order the body is capable of handling at that time."

This last week I have had a very strange rash under my bottom lip. Im not usually a rashy person so I was, initially, surprised to see this pop up. Then I remembered that a few years ago an itchy patch under my lip and realised that it was simply a re-tracing of old symptoms and not something I had eaten or been exposed to in the material world.

I am learning to be patient, and not 'awfulize' about my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment